Benrito Co., Ltd. 8.3 x 11.8", 228 pp., 4 color plates and 326 b/w plates and illustrations, text in Japanese with introduction in English, hardboard, Tokyo, 1958. (o.p.; some wear, dented at corners of book, slightly browning, ex Harrie A. Vanderstappen). Item #23236
The Kyo-o Gokokuji was built in 794 A.D. as a national temple. It is located in the east of Rashomon. Hence it is also called Toji. In 794 A.D., the them emperor Saga bestowed the temple to Kukai, the most well-known priest of the day. Since then, it became the training temple of the esoteric Shingon Buddhism. In the autumn of 1957, the temple authorities, for the first time in history, gave permission to the Research group, the Asahi Press co-sponsoring, to investigate the temple thoroughly. It turned out that quite a number of precious treasury were discovered, then were displayed in this catalogue.
Out of stock